Edinburgh – Places to visit
Locally, Silvermills is in Stockbridge, once a bohemian part of the city, it is noted for its excellent restaurants, cafes, bars, boutiques and shops. There are many interesting places to visit and explore all within walking distance of the apartment.
By the bridge in Stockbridge is access to the Water of Leith Walkway and not far away is Inverleith Park, a large expanse of green, with The Botanic Garden close by. The Victorian swimming baths at Glenogle, just a short walk from the apartment are also worth a visit as are the Stockbridge Colonies, parallel street of houses built for tradesmen in the Victorian era.
The apartment at Silvermills is well placed to visit all the attractions of Edinburgh, Edinburgh Castle, Princes Street Gardens, The Palace of Holyrood, The Royal Mile, Medieval Old Town, Theatres, Museums, Art Galleries, Edinburgh Zoo and Leith with The Royal Yacht Britannia just to name a few. Many of these attractions are within walking distance and for those a little further afield there are plenty of bus routes close by.
There are a variety of places to visit outwith Edinburgh city centre.
- Linlithgow Palace – home of Mary Queen of Scots
- Hopetoun House – a large georgian stately home
- Scottish Seabird Centre at North Berwick
- Rosslyn Chapel – as featured in the ‘The Da Vinci Code’
- Museum of Flight – at East Fortune
- Butterfly and Insect World
- Take a cruise to Inchcolm Island
- Dirleton Castle & Gardens
- Blackness Castle
There is a good selection of leaflets in the apartment on places to visit in Edinburgh and the Lothians.